Is there any craft beer list left in the universe that doesn’t rank Lagunitas and Russian River somewhere near the top? Anyone? I didn’t think so.
Website The Daily Meal recently quizzed its readers on the best American craft brew outfits and, perhaps unsurprisingly, our two locals showed up on the top 25 list, with Lagunitas at #7 and Russian River at #9, one spot above that other California icon, Sierra Nevada (what? No love for Bear Republic, readers?). For the most part, the list reads like any conventional list of craft beer favs, though I was a bit surprised by the inclusion of Virginia’s Devils Backbone, which is a very fine brewery but new and previously relatively obscure. But it is a good mark of the increasing profile of my native state in the beer world, so that is good.
Here’s the full list, though The Daily Meal piece has additional pictures and words and other amusing elements and is therefore worth a read.
1. Dogfish Head, Lewes, Del.
2. Stone Brewing Company, Escondido
3. Boulevard Brewing Company, Kansas City, Mo.
4. Founders Brewing Company, Grand Rapids, Mich.
5. Cigar City Brewing Company, Tampa, Fla.
6. New Belgium Brewery, Fort Collins, Colo.
7. Lagunitas Brewing Company, Petaluma
8. Bell’s Brewery, Kalamazoo, Mich.
9. Russian River Brewing Company, Santa Rosa
10. Sierra Nevada, Chico
11. Odell Brewing Company, Fort Collins, Colo.
12. Three Floyds Brewing, Munster, Ind.
13. Avery Brewing Company, Boulder, Colo.
14. Oskar Blues, Lyons, Colo.
15. Rogue Ales, Portland, Ore.
16. Great Divide Brewery, Denver, Colo.
17. Victory Brewing Company, Downingtown, Penn.
18. Brewery Ommegang, Cooperstown, N.Y.
19. Green Flash Brewing Company, San Diego
20. Boston Beer Company, Boston, Mass.
21. Devils Backbone Brewing Company, Roseland, Va.
22. Allagash Brewing Company, Portland, Maine
23. New Glarus Brewing Company, New Glarus, Wisc.
24. Great Lakes Brewing Company, Cleveland, Ohio
25. Anchor Brewing Company, San Francisco