The lineup for San Francisco Beer Week is shaping up nicely, with a bunch of North Bay events on the schedule (not even counting the coincident release of Pliny the Younger, set for Feb. 7 at Russian River).
One interesting Sonoma County event will allow aspiring amateur brewers to get in on the action. Santa Rosa’s Toad in the Hole pub and Brewed for Thought will host “So You Think You Can Brew,” on Feb. 11 starting at 6 p.m. They will gather a group of judges from Lagunitas to judge the best home brew.
The rules are simple: Brew your best American-style IPA. Bring two 22 oz. bottles (known as Bombers). Label the brew with your name, the beer name, and a short description of your creation. Sign-ups start at 6 p.m., judging begins at 7:20. The winner, along with up to two friends, gets a private tour of Lagunitas.
Other than that, here’s what’s on the line-up locally as of Monday (but be sure to check yourself, because the schedule and details are evolving constantly):
- Barrel-aged and Sour Beer release, Whole Foods tap room at Coddingtown Mall, Feb. 8.
- Baeltane Brewing tasting at Pizza Antica in Mill Valley, Feb. 8.
- Breakfast & Beer at Petaluma Taps, Feb. 9
- Meet the brewer of Ninkasi tasting, Beercraft, Rohnert Park, Feb. 11
- Bear Republic tasting and cheese pairing, Whole Foods at Coddingtown Mall, Feb. 13
- 3rd Annual Black and White Beer Ball, Santa Rosa Veterans Building, Feb. 14
- Lupercalia Festival, Baeltane Brewing, Novato, Feb. 15
- Meet the brewer of Prairie Artisan Ales, Beercraft, Rohnert Park, Feb. 15
I am told more North Bay events are to come on the Beer Week schedule. And if you can travel, there are plenty of great looking events all around the region, including in SF, Oakland, and even as far as Half Mon Bay, San Jose, and Palo Alto.
– Sean Scully